1.23.2009

On food...

Here at the 14th St Farm we have been cooking a lot of food. If you were to look into our refrigerator you would see a lot of food. Maybe I will go take a picture. Yes I definitely will do that.

Here is the inside of the big pantry in the hall.



And the aforementioned refrigerator:


See? Look at all those fucking veggies. For now, they all have to come from the store. The yard is made out of grass and himalayan blackberry vines, so it is not yeilding a lot of squash, if you get what I am saying. But very soon Kyle will have fixed all that. In the meantime we cook with things from WinCo, which have been carried to us 1000s and 1000s of miles using trucks and sometimes even airplanes, guzzling fossils fuels all the while. Our avocados are from Mexico and our asparagus is from Peru and our oranges are from Australia (?) and it is all a little bit weird.
Here are some things we have cooked:
- One hug pot of stew! It was a make-up-as-you-go-along type of affair and it ended up containing carrots, onions, barley, mushrooms and not a lot else. It was delicious.
- Some other soup! Squash soup from a carton with some red wine and some rosemary. It was not good at all. We served it with potatoes Jeff Gordon made, they were good but the soup was foul. Sorry, you guys- my bad.
- Last night we made two seperate dinners. Kyle cooked up some chicken breasts for himself and Matt in a caserole dish in the oven with some veggies. I hear it was delicious. He then tried to make some quinoa but it came out scorched. I roasted some eggplant in the oven with olive oil, onion and garlic, and then i carmelized some onion in a pan with some tofu, and I threw all that into some pita bread with some pesto. It was yummy.
PITA BREAD
WHY IS IT SO HARD TO MAKE PITA BREAD THAT IS EASY TO OPEN
all the time i am buying pita bread which i have to cut open myself with a paring knife and i can never get it just right and i always end up with big gaping holes or one side way too thin, and then when i put in the hot onions i drip oil on my hand and burn myself.
if you know where i can get some normal sized pita bread let me know.


SATURDAY
we are having our housewarming party! Before the party I am making dinner for about 10 people. It is going to be the culinary event of the damn century, people. Here is the menu:
1) Spanicopeda. I got this recipe from my aunt. I have made it before and while it is extremely fussy and time-consuming it is not really too hard, plus it looks, smells and tastes like it should have been very hard so I can impress people with it.
2) Potato-greens soup with baked potato croutons. I have never made this before but it doesn't look too hard. It's basically a potato brocolli soup to start with, with some "croutons" which are really wedges of baked potato fried with some coarse cornmeal
3) Asparagus roasted with some capers. There is not much to say. This is a veggie. I think it will be pretty tasty. I think the best part of it will be the asparagus, also the capers.
4) Desert: A cranberry-cream cheese tart. This is really very delicious sounding. I haven't made it before but it doesn't look very hard to make- it's a graham cracker crust with swirls of cranberry and cream cheese in it. I might drizzle it with some bittersweet chocolate at the end, depending on ... I don't know, if I have time or not.
So what do you think of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment