1.24.2009

The basement flooded!

Jesus Christ! The basement flooded!
I knew we should not have bought the $40 washing machine on Craigslist sight-unseen
Matt thinks he has fixed it, he says some pipe had come loose and he glued it back into place, and it does seem to be working now
But the water was a few inches deep in some places and it went into Kyle's room under his brand-new carpet and all that
Thankfully it didn't get into the music room and onto the amps and the organ
We mopped it up with towels, ringing them out into a stock pot
All of this while I have stuff in the oven and am stressed out about the party today, anyway! What a ridiculous time to have something like this happen. Sometimes I feel like I live in a James Thurber story.
Last time I tried to have a party at my parents house, the septic tank backed up.
I think I am just not very good at this yet. Sometimes I feel more like Amy Sedaris than James Thurber. It's about 50/50 I think.
Gonna make the same mistake twice....
http://salem.craigslist.org/zip/1005109980.html
I'm getting me a "yeah you can crash here once if you really need to but don't make a habit out of it" spare bed, to prevent moochers and schmoozers, boozers, users and losers from moving in. Yes, we have a spare room. No, that does not mean you can move in for free. That is not how a spare room works. It is a touchy situation involving a lot of tact and meaningful glances. I have a lot of friends who do not have their shit together on an even superficial level.
Anyway the spanacopeda and the tart came out just fine. Matt is doing the mountain of dishes I created in the process for me right now so I can start on the soup. Literally every surface in the kitchen is covered in flung bits of cream cheese from using an electric mixer for the filling of the tart but i couldn't find the beaters, just the whisk


Katie and Chad are bringing baby Elliot to the party tonight! They're bringing him and his walker so he can dick around in the kitchen or the dining room on the tile. Katie says he has been very happy, crawly and climby lately so he will be both entertaining and a handful. I covered the outlets at floor level, hid small choke-able items, and put away the blowtorches and DDT. The enormous pile of rusty steak knives and hantavirus-tinged razor blades in the center of the living room floor may be a poor plan, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment